Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice about used HDDS

Hello and thank you in advance for the advice. I'll try and keep this as short as possible.
I am looking to turn my old PC into a home Plex/Jellyfin server (used Plex for years but thinking about switching to Jellyfin)
I'm looking to get as much storage as possible on the cheap...was thinking about getting 2 used EXOS drives from either ServerPartDeals or GoHardDrive. Tons of people on reddit have had good things to say about them as well as bad things. Was wondering if you had experience with either or both? I don't know anything about RAID - was just looking to get a huge amount of storage for media storage (if a drive fails eventually the data can be easily replaced) SVP offers a 2 year warranty while GHD offers a 5 year - the drives i was looking at Seagate Exos X16 14TB or Seagate Exos X18 14TB depending on SVP or GHD. Also do you think EXOS is the way to go? They also have WD ultrastar drives for around the same price.
Thank you thank you thank you Smile
When it comes to storage for your home Plex/Jellyfin server, it's important to keep in mind that you'll need reliable and high-capacity drives. Both the Seagate Exos and WD Ultrastar drives are enterprise-grade drives that are built to handle heavy workloads and provide reliable performance.

As for the specific drives you mentioned, the Seagate Exos X16 and X18 14TB drives are both solid options with high capacity and good performance. However, it's worth noting that these drives are designed for use in server environments and may not be the most cost-effective option for a home media server. If you're looking to get the most storage for your money, you may want to consider consumer-grade drives like the Seagate IronWolf or WD Red series, which are designed specifically for use in NAS devices.

When it comes to ServerPartDeals and GoHardDrive, both companies have good reputations and offer decent warranties on their products. However, it's important to do your due diligence and read reviews from other customers before making a purchase.

In terms of RAID, it's a good idea to set up your drives in a RAID configuration for data redundancy and protection against drive failure. RAID 5 or RAID 6 would be good options for a media server, as they provide a good balance between storage capacity and data protection. However, keep in mind that setting up RAID can be complex and requires some technical knowledge.

Overall, the Seagate Exos and WD Ultrastar drives are both good options for a home media server, but you may want to consider consumer-grade drives for cost-effectiveness. It's also important to do your research and read reviews before making a purchase, and to set up your drives in a RAID configuration for data protection.