Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing RAID level

Hello,
My question is, should I choose RAID level 5 or 6 if I have a 5-bay NAS with all bays populated with 20 TB drives? If 5-bay expansions are added, should I expand the same RAID over them, or create new RAID group(s) and why?
Recently I watched one of your videos on YouTube titled "Choosing the Right NAS RAID Guide" (https://youtu.be/5K8szc9gDYw), and although it contains information about various RAID levels out there, that's not what I would expect from a video like that. You see, there is already plenty of information about RAID levels on the Internet (including NAS's manufacturer's own websites). So as an idea for a future video, perhaps, would be to go over all possible NAS configurations (like, 2-bay NAS, 4-bay, 4-bay with 5 bay expansion, etc.) and specify which RAID level would *you* recommend setting up in each specific case (with justification).
When choosing between RAID 5 and RAID 6, the decision ultimately depends on your specific needs and priorities. RAID 5 offers more storage capacity, but at the cost of lower data redundancy, meaning that a single drive failure could result in data loss. On the other hand, RAID 6 offers higher data redundancy at the cost of some storage capacity, as it can tolerate up to two drive failures without data loss.

Considering that you have all bays populated with 20 TB drives, it may be more prudent to opt for RAID 6, as the chances of a drive failure increase with the number of drives. With RAID 6, you would have an additional layer of protection against data loss, which may be worth the slightly lower storage capacity compared to RAID 5.