Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DAS for Video Editing

Hi,

I run a small solo video production company and I'm looking to upgrade my storage solution. Currently I have a bunch of 2 TB hard drives laying around and I would like to change that.

I work with the Mac environment and I'm looking for a DAS. I don't necessarily need a NAS as I work alone and do not need to access my data remotely. I would like to edit large 4k Video files directly off my DAS, ideally with a thunderbolt connection. For that reason, I think it would make sense to go for a solution that offers NVME slots for caching, right?

I currently have around 8 TB waiting to be stored on there and expect around 2-3 TB of data per year. I would like to be able to configure the drives as RAID 5 or 6 and I would probably opt for 2 units so that I can create a backup every few months or so and store it off site.

Do you have any recommendation for me?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Have a nice day Smile

Cheers
Raul
Based on your requirements, I would recommend looking into the OWC Thunderbay 4 or Thunderbay 8. Both models have Thunderbolt 3 connectivity and support RAID 5 or 6 configurations. The Thunderbay 8 can accommodate up to eight drives and offers more expansion options, while the Thunderbay 4 can hold up to four drives and is more compact.

Another option to consider is the LaCie 6big Thunderbolt 3. Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, and RAID 5/6 support. The 6big can hold up to six drives and has a maximum storage capacity of 84 TB.

All of these options should be compatible with Macs, allowing you to edit large 4K video files directly from the DAS. Remember to factor in the cost of the drives themselves, as well as any necessary backup solutions. And as always, be sure to do your research and compare options to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

There used to be Drobo DAS with SSD read cache (not trading any more ) https://nascompares.com/2019/03/07/drobo...ox-review/

But today there is only Terramaster that is similar https://www.terra-master.com/us/products...nu&mid=663