Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS423+ or DS923+

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my ageing DS213j and I'm struggling to decide between these 2 NAS enclosures. I don't need transcoding so the 923 seems like the better purchase due its expandability or am I being too simplistic? Does the 923 perform better than the 423 when running docker? My current NAS is used to store music, pics and movies streaming to devices at home over WiFi. However I really want to use docker and get more out of my NAS. Apart from transcoding does the 423 still have the superior CPU? I believe the recommended RAM on the 423 can be exceeded albeit not officially supported so I'm unsure if the 923 has any advantage in that dept. The final thought is I'm unlikely to need any more than 32tb BUT it'd be nice to futureproof the device as much as possible. That said the 423 can't use the Synology expansion module but does allow 72tb Vs the 50tb on the 923. As you can probably tell I'm trying myself in knots ?

Any advice or help would be gratefully received
I too am upgrading from a DS213j. Though for me a DS223+ would be ideal, the DS423+ my next choice. If a DS923+ shows up on Prime Day for same $ as 423+, I could be convinced to pull the trigger there.

Never having used the 213j to play movies elsewhere I'm not sure I NEED that ability with the 423+ However I have wished I could play some of my GoPro Diving videos at other peoples homes, and how many years will I have this thing...  Something for me to consider.

From my understanding the 923+ is a faster machine. perhaps thats just due to the 4GB ECC vs 2GB Non-ECC.

With regard to expansion/capacity. 4-Bays will give you freedom to add larger drives down the road...assuming you start with 2 drives. Adding 12-16TB drives later will give you more than 32TB.
You may not ever max out your capacity...Unless you plan on hosting for your Family, or next Gen video files start getting bigger again (8K, ATMOS...etc), you may not replace again for 8-10 years again.

Personally I'd start to worry if I have all those eggs in one basket. I'm starting with 2x 8TB. If I get a 4Bay, I suspect I'll have that NAS for 10 years again too.
I'll be using my 213j as my off site back up.

I don't know anything about Docker... what is this? It keeps coming up as a Key selling feature. What do you plan to use it for?
Yes, DS923+ is more powerful NAS compared to DS423+. There is no transcoding feature, but for local streaming, you do not need this.
Docker allows installing things like Plex, databases and so on. A faster CPU will do a better job with these "mini VMs".