Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade or Buy New

I have a Synology DS415+: running MailPlus server + Music + Video +Personal Data Storage for me and an off site family member. RAID 5 applies with daily backups.
I have ext USB drives but only 1 on a PC where I edit and archive TV recordings etc. Video archive draining ext USB drive and NAS does not have enough space for future. Do I upgrade NAS Drive storage size or buy new NAS for Media and future-proof increasing storage. If the latter, which NAS?
Thanks. Keith
Whether you should upgrade the current NAS or purchase a new one depends on your specific needs and budget.

If you are happy with the performance and features of your current NAS and want to continue using it, upgrading the drives in the NAS is a good option. You can replace the drives with larger capacity ones, or add additional drives to the available slots. This will increase your storage capacity and allow you to continue using your current NAS for your media storage needs.

However, if you are looking for a more future-proof solution with more advanced features and performance, it may be worth considering purchasing a new NAS. There are many options available on the market, so it's important to consider your specific needs and budget.

Some factors to consider when choosing a new NAS include the number and type of drive bays, processor performance, RAM, and network connectivity options. Popular brands include Synology, QNAP, and Western Digital, but there are many other options available.

In terms of specific models, the Synology DS920+ and QNAP TS-453D are both popular options for media storage and have plenty of room for future expansion. It's important to do your own research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure you get the best option for your needs and budget.

Whichever option you choose, be sure to set up a reliable backup solution to protect your data.