Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Setup

Hi, I'm thinking on building/purchase a NAS system, mostly for media streaming purpose. Right now I have a raspberryPI running LibreElec with 3 external hard drives attached with 4, 5 and 6 Tb. So right now I have a capacity of +/- 15Tb and have 11Tb used.
One of external hard drive starts to fail so thats why I'm thinking to build/purchase a NAS. I'm thinking on 2 options here:
1) convert raspberryPi on a NAS with openVault and a HDD dock (like this one for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H11KXCL) and run kodi on my TV with Android TV (Philips 55OLED806) with the rapsberry streaming the media to the TV
2) buy a NAS and keep raspberry running libreElec

So, with this, do you think option 1 is doable? If not, what NAS do you recomend? And HDD? How many and wich capacity? What RAID should I use?

Many Thanks in advance for you help.

Best regards,

Telmo
Yes, it is definitely doable to convert your Raspberry Pi into a NAS using OpenMediaVault and an HDD dock. However, you should keep in mind that this setup may not be as reliable or scalable as a dedicated NAS system, and may not be able to provide the same level of performance or features.

If you decide to go for a dedicated NAS system, there are many options available in the market from different brands such as Synology, QNAP, and Asustor. These brands offer different models with various features, so it is important to choose one that fits your specific needs and budget.

When it comes to hard drives, it is important to choose ones that are designed for NAS use, such as Western Digital Red or Seagate IronWolf. The number and capacity of the hard drives you choose will depend on your budget and storage needs. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to use at least two hard drives in a RAID configuration for data redundancy and protection against drive failure.

As for the RAID level, it depends on your specific needs and priorities. RAID 1 (mirroring) provides data redundancy by writing the same data to two drives, while RAID 5 or RAID 6 (striping with parity) offer better capacity utilization and protection against single or multiple drive failures. RAID 10 (striping and mirroring) is a more advanced and expensive option that provides both high performance and data redundancy.