Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

low-budget home nas

Hi, I'm looking for a 2-bay NAS for home. The main applications would be photos/videos storage, Android gallery backup, PC backup, modest streaming via Plex (1080p max for a while), modest torrent download. I'd install 2 pieces of 4TB HDDs in RAID1 for redundancy. I was looking at QNAP TS-233 and looking at this price range or a little above. I'm a little worried its hardware wont be enough. I watched the Terramaster F2-423 review and I like it but it's just tad more than I wish to pay. I found the F2-223 quite promising as it's a little cheaper than the F2-423 with really good specs. I'm just not sure about TM's software side. I saw the TOS5 is slightly getting better but I'd like good experience and usable android app for photo backup. Would you still recommend TM, QNAP or something else? Do you plan to review the mentioned T2-223? Hope I was clear enough. Thank You in advance!
For your use case, a 2-bay NAS with RAID 1 should be sufficient. Both QNAP and Terramaster offer good options in this price range, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference and specific needs.

The QNAP TS-233 should be able to handle your applications, but if you're concerned about the hardware, you might consider the QNAP TS-253D instead. It's a bit more expensive, but it offers better performance and features, including a faster processor and 2.5GbE port.

The Terramaster F2-223 also seems like a solid choice, with good hardware specs and a lower price point than the F2-423. As for the software, Terramaster's TOS5 operating system is improving, but it may not be as polished as QNAP's QTS. However, Terramaster does offer mobile apps for Android and iOS for photo backup.

I have not reviewed the Terramaster F2-223 yet, but it seems like a promising option based on its specs and price point.