Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WD My Book Duo full, need serious NAS for future proofing

Loving the YT videos. Discovered your channel this evening after searching for a NAS solution.

My current setup (WD Mybook 12TB (6TB mirrored) is nearly full. It houses all my RAW files from the last 6 years.

As I understand it, I am leaning towards a Synology DS923+ and want to fill it as much as I can afford. Possibly Ironwolf 8TBs (not pro) equalling 32TB total.

My understanding is that I should use RAID5 to make one of the drives as a protection drive leaving me with 24TB of actual storage.
Is RAID5 a good approach for my work?

I'm not the most complicated use case, simply need safe storage for my work that I can access easily. Up until now, it has been the My Book Duo which I then back up onto 2 other external HDs for peace of mind. I would like a NAS as (if I am correct) it will offer me a redundancy if one drive failed.
I'm only just learning this NAS work and so there's a lot of info, if you can advise that would be amazing.
Thanks so much
Gareth
Synology DS923+ is a great choice for your storage needs. In terms of drive configuration, RAID 5 is a good approach for your use case. RAID 5 uses one disk for parity, which means that if one of the disks in the array fails, you can replace it and rebuild the data from the other disks. This gives you a good balance between storage capacity and data redundancy.

Using 8TB Ironwolf drives (not Pro) would give you a total of 32TB of storage capacity, with 24TB of usable storage in a RAID 5 configuration. This should provide plenty of space for your RAW files and other data, while also giving you some protection against drive failures.

It's important to note that RAID 5 is not a substitute for backing up your data. While it does provide some redundancy, it won't protect against all types of data loss, such as accidental deletion, file corruption, or catastrophic events like fire or flood. It's always a good idea to have a backup strategy in place, such as using an offsite backup service or rotating external hard drives.