Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to use Handbrake for transcoding

Hi there,
I was wondering if you could do a video on transcoding with handbrake on a Synology NAS? I'm currently running into a slight issue with my NAS. I have a ton of BluRays that I copied as mkv files to my NAS with MakeMKV. But those files turn out to be between 30-50 GB per file.

When opening handbrake in a docker container, I'm wondering what are the best settings to automatically transcode those video files, so that I can still play them with Plex on an Intel system like the DS423+. (some codecs are not supported) while saving a lot of data.

No worries, I have a solar array, so the electricity used is kind of for free. Because it takes quite some power to let the NAS transcode a video file.

Looking forward to your feedback and possibly a video on YouTube, where the best options are explained in terms of saving file size, while maintaining high quality files that play easily from the NAS.

As for specific settings to use in Handbrake, that will depend on your preferences and the specific media files you're working with. However, here are a few tips:

Use the H.264 or H.265 codec for maximum compatibility with devices and players.
Choose a video bitrate that balances file size and video quality. A bitrate of around 10 Mbps is a good starting point for 1080p video.
Consider using the "Constant Quality" encoding mode, which adjusts the bitrate dynamically to maintain a consistent level of video quality.
I hope this helps get you started with using Handbrake on your Synology NAS for transcoding your media files! If you have any further questions or would like more specific guidance, feel free to let me know.