Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NVR QNAP or Synology

Well, I'm sure you're sick of hearing from me by now. I've been watching more of your videos. I currently have a Synology DS918+ populated with 4 WD Red Pro 4 TB Drives. This is currently sufficient fore my current needs but will upgrade the drives in another year or 2.

I am looking at adding a NVR for surveillance only. I will be using a minimum of 4 4k cameras recording 24x7 plus recording from my doorbell cam. I would like to keep a minimum of 30 days of video on the NVR. I have to buy a new NAS anyway so I've thought of:

1. Using my 918+ and install WD Purple Pro's and buy a different NAS to use as an actual NAS and the 918+ for surveillance.

2. Buy the Synology DVA3221 for Surveillance only.

3. Buy a different brand altogether and either use it as NAS or DVR.

Budget is not important.If you would please recommend your top 3 recommendations and which use and briefly why. If other than Q or Syn, the preferred HD brand.

Thanks,

Ryan
No worries at all, I'm here to help! Based on your requirements, here are my top 3 recommendations for a surveillance setup:
There is nothing wrong with ds918+ option. Otherwise
Synology DVA3221 - This is a great option if you're looking for a dedicated surveillance solution. It's designed specifically for surveillance and comes with built-in AI capabilities for video analysis. It supports up to 32 camera licenses, which should be more than enough for your needs. Plus, it's made by Synology, a reputable brand known for their quality NAS products.

QNAP TS-h973AX - If you're looking for a more versatile option that can also function as a NAS, the QNAP TS-h973AX is worth considering. It's a powerful 9-bay NAS that supports up to 40 camera licenses, so it should be more than sufficient for your needs. It also comes with built-in hardware acceleration for transcoding and supports 10GbE connectivity for faster data transfer speeds.
As for hard drives, I recommend using WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk drives as they are specifically designed for surveillance use and have features such as AllFrame AI technology for improved performance and reliability.
I was looking at your consulting options and feel I need more than the free or coffee option, but also don't need the Xoom as I'm in the planning stages. I may be wrong though. I have a layout in mind, again not sure if its the best. Do you offer other options that are faster than the free and do not get posted to your website? I will be happy to pay. I can email you the idea with distances and approximate FOV's for your determination on the type of support and cost needed. I am just running out of time to be able to have cables ran without it costing me 4X as much.