Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDD for 4 bay home use NAS

Hi Guys,

I hope this message finds you well. I would like to setup a Terramaster f4-423 NAS for home use and I'm wondering what type of hard drive I should use for the best performance, reliability and cost. The primary use case for the NAS will be data storage, but I'm also interested in using it for photo editing as I become more familiar with NAS.

I was hoping you could share your expertise on this matter and provide me with some recommendations. Are there any specific hard drive models or brands that you would suggest for this type of setup? Should I be looking for hard drives with a specific RPM or cache size? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Kaush
In terms of performance, reliability, and cost, there are several options to consider. Western Digital (WD) and Seagate are two popular brands that offer a range of drives suitable for NAS use. For performance, you may want to consider drives with a higher RPM (such as 7200 RPM) and a larger cache size (such as 256 MB). These drives may cost a bit more, but they can provide faster data access times and better overall performance.

For reliability, you may want to consider drives that are specifically designed for NAS use, such as WD Red or Seagate IronWolf drives. These drives are built to handle the continuous operation and heavy workloads of a NAS environment, and they often come with extended warranties and additional features like vibration reduction.

In terms of cost, you'll likely find that 4 TB or 6 TB drives offer the best value for your money. These drives typically have a good balance of price and storage capacity, and they should be more than enough for most home users.

Overall, some good options for your TerraMaster f4-423 NAS might include WD Red or Seagate IronWolf drives in the 4 TB or 6 TB range, depending on your storage needs and budget. I hope this helps!