Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

advice for a replacement 2-bay

Hi there,
I hope you can help me.

I’m looking for a replacement for my 10+ year old Netgear ReadyNAS Duo V2 which is now very out of date!

I use it for backing up 2 laptops, and storing and serving my music collection using Squeezebox.

Some SB forums have suggested I keep my ReadyNAS as storage only and use a NUC for the server, but I don’t understand why I’d do that when NASs can do it all in one?

A 2 bay is fine for my usage and I’m not running the international space station from it, so cheaper is better (£200ish?). However from what I understand I think Squeezebox is best run on an Intel system, which seems to put me in the mid-price range.

Also I really like the look and feel of my ReadyNAS, which is mostly dark grey metal with a metal door grill and easily removable drive bays.

So there’s your challenge: A good looking 2-bay NAS capable of running Squeezebox for another 10 years, for £200!

Many thanks in advance, Marc
It sounds like you're looking for a 2-bay NAS that can handle both backup and storage, as well as running Squeezebox for your music collection. Here are a few options to consider:
Synology DS220+: This is a highly rated 2-bay NAS that is known for its performance and ease of use. It has an Intel Celeron J4025 processor, 2GB of RAM (upgradable to 6GB), and support for up to 32TB of storage. It also has a wide range of apps available, including Squeezebox.
DS223 is a budget option, but there is a limited number of apps available.