Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Expansion

Hey Guys!

First of all I want to thank you for your videos, they really help a lot.

And today I am writing you because I have a problem with my NAS, I have a DS918+ with 2TB HDD on each bay and it full, I wanted to upgrade to the Iron wolfs 8TB., but because it is full and usually it is being used by either me or my family to watch Plex movies and series, I do not know what is the best way to replace the drives and expand the storage, so any help I would appreciate it a lot.

Best regards,

Khalid
To upgrade your storage on the DS918+, you have a few options depending on your needs and budget:

Replace the existing drives with larger ones: You can replace your current 2TB drives with 8TB IronWolf drives, one at a time, and let the system rebuild the RAID array in between each drive replacement. This will allow you to keep all your data intact while increasing your storage capacity.

Add new drives to the available bays: You can add new 8TB IronWolf drives to the remaining bays on your DS918+, create a new RAID array with these drives, and then transfer your data from the old drives to the new ones. This option will require you to backup your data first, as the process will erase your existing data.

Use an external storage expansion unit: You can also consider adding an external storage expansion unit like the Synology DX517 or the QNAP TR-004, which will allow you to connect additional drives to your NAS and expand your storage capacity without replacing the existing drives. This option will require an additional investment in the expansion unit, but it may be the most convenient option if you don't want to deal with the hassle of transferring your data to new drives.

Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your budget, storage needs, and personal preferences. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.