Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS423+

Hey. Love your videos! Thanks for all that you do. In your review of the 423+ I couldn't tell if you said you could or could not use a 2.5/5GBe USB dongle with the 423+. I'm assuming you can, since it's the same processor as the 920/1520+.

Also. It has 2GB of ram. I was thinking of just adding a 16gig stick, since its so cheap and I'm assuming it will add a ton of performance. Do you think more ram will help? Or should I just go with a 4gb stick?

I plan to backup my wifes photogrophy all of our iphone photos and videos and run plex/jellyfin.

Bought 4 18TB Hard Drive Exos X18. Plan on running SHR
To answer your first question, yes, you can use a 2.5/5GBe USB dongle with the DS423+ as it has a USB 3.0 port for external devices.

Regarding the RAM upgrade, it's always a good idea to have more RAM, especially if you plan to use your NAS for multiple applications like photo backups, media streaming, and running applications like Plex or Jellyfin. Adding more RAM will help with the overall performance and multitasking capabilities of your NAS. A 16GB stick would be a good choice, as it will provide enough capacity for your needs and leave room for future expansion.

Just keep in mind that when you upgrade the RAM, it's recommended to use the same type and speed of RAM that is already installed on your NAS to avoid any compatibility issues. It's also important to note that upgrading the RAM may void your warranty, so proceed with caution.

Lastly, it's great that you have chosen Seagate Exos X18 drives for your SHR configuration. These are enterprise-class drives that are designed for high workloads and offer excellent reliability and performance.