Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Build

Budget includes buying the drives; but I am looking for something to replace and dramatically upgrade my Drobo 5N. I run a business and have tons of client files (images, photoshop designs, videos, etc); but also personally we have all our home movies, photos, etc…I’d like to also be able to use something like Plex to stream those movies to our TV, etc. I’ve watched so many of your videos and I’m torn between all the options. 4 bay? 6 bay? Qnap? Synology? I’m looking for suggestions. Thanks!
Based on your needs, I would recommend the Synology DS423+. It has a powerful quad-core Intel Celeron J4025 processor, 2GB DDR4 RAM (upgradable to 8GB), and four drive bays for a maximum capacity of 64TB (with 16TB drives). It also has a dedicated hardware encryption engine and supports Plex Media Server for streaming media to your TV.

Additionally, Synology has a user-friendly interface and a robust ecosystem of third-party apps, which can be helpful for business and personal use. The DS423+ is also well-reviewed and considered a reliable and high-performing NAS for its price range.

That being said, if you anticipate needing more than four drive bays, the QNAP TS-464 or TS-664 could be good options to consider. They both have similar specs to the DS423+, but with six bays instead of four. However, they may be slightly more expensive than the DS423+.

Ultimately, the decision depends on your specific needs and budget. I recommend evaluating your storage needs, desired features, and budget to determine which NAS is the best fit for you.