Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DX517

Looking into getting the Expansion DX517 by Synology. I cane across this on the page "To have better performance, we recommend creating storage volumes physically located within the same NAS or Expansion Unit, rather than creating volumes across your NAS and Expansion Unit." Can someone explain this in layman's terms? Or point me to a YouTube link?
The Expansion DX517 is an external storage unit that can be connected to a Synology NAS device to increase its storage capacity. However, the recommendation you mentioned suggests that it is better to create storage volumes (i.e., partitions) within the same device (i.e., either in the NAS or in the Expansion Unit) rather than spreading them across both devices.

This is because having the storage volumes spread across both devices can lead to a slower data transfer rate due to the increased latency caused by the communication between the two devices. This can result in reduced performance, especially when accessing large files or running applications that require fast read/write speeds.

Therefore, to get the best performance, it is recommended to create storage volumes within the same device (either in the NAS or in the Expansion Unit), and if you need more storage, you can simply add more disks to that same device rather than spreading them across different devices.

I hope this helps!