Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Off-site Synology Enclosure

I use a DS918+ with 4x4TB WD Red Plus drives at home. I just ordered 4x10TB WD Red Plus drives to expand capacity. Now I am wondering if this is an opportunity to use the old drives at an off-site location for backup. I currently use C2 Hyper Backup, but I would also like another NAS to store at a friend's house. Should I upgrade my enclosure at home and use the 918+ for remote backup, or should I keep the 918+ at home and purchase a cheaper Synology 4-bay enclosure as the backup? The 918+ has worked flawlessly since new. Thank you for any recommendations and replies!
I would recommend considering a new NAS as your main storage solution since Synology typically only provides OS updates for 10 years after the initial release. As for your current setup, using the old 4x4TB WD Red Plus drives at an off-site location for backup is a great idea. You can either upgrade your enclosure at home and use the DS918+ as your remote backup, or keep the DS918+ at home and purchase a cheaper Synology 4-bay enclosure for backup purposes. Just keep in mind that it's important to regularly check and ensure that your backup is up-to-date and functioning properly.
(04-21-2023, 03:48 PM)ed Wrote: I would recommend considering a new NAS as your main storage solution since Synology typically only provides OS updates for 10 years after the initial release. As for your current setup, using the old 4x4TB WD Red Plus drives at an off-site location for backup is a great idea. You can either upgrade your enclosure at home and use the DS918+ as your remote backup, or keep the DS918+ at home and purchase a cheaper Synology 4-bay enclosure for backup purposes. Just keep in mind that it's important to regularly check and ensure that your backup is up-to-date and functioning properly.

Thank you for your reply! I do agree it is probably best to update the NAS at home. But Im not sure I can justify the price of a new 923+ and I would regret losing the performance of the 918+ (which was a financial stretch when I first got it). But above all I will heed your warnings about the risks of eminently unsupported hardware.