Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Upgrade

I've had a DS1813+ for several years now. Due to its limitations, I'd like to eventually build a rack storage server running TrueNAS. But in the meantime, I thought I'd maybe upgrade my Synology. I originally was looking at the DS3622xs+ or the DS1823xs+ for the 10Gbe ports and the possibility of M.2, but the lack of SHR gives me pause. I thought about going to the DS1821+ or DS2422+, but buying any new Synology NAS given the proprietary drive issue voiding the warranty freaks me out. I've looked at a QNAP and other possible solutions. Your videos and articles are great, so I wondered if you had any suggestions. Of course, I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I'd be willing to spend up to about $3000 on a NAS, but I'd have to get a lot for that much. I want to have enough power, speed and capacity for a my media servers and docker containers. Thanks for any help.
Based on your requirements and budget, I would recommend taking a look at the QNAP TVS-h1688X and the TVS-h1288X. Both models offer 10GbE ports and support M.2 NVMe SSD caching. The TVS-h1688X has 16 drive bays, while the TVS-h1288X has 12 drive bays, giving you plenty of room for storage expansion. Both models also support QNAP's proprietary QTS operating system and the ability to run virtual machines and Docker containers. Additionally, QNAP uses standard hard drive interfaces, so you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty with third-party drives.

If you're set on sticking with Synology, the DS1821+ and the DS2422+ are both solid options. While they don't have 10GbE ports, you could add a 10GbE network card to the NAS for faster data transfer speeds. Both models also support SHR, which can be useful for managing different sized hard drives. As for the proprietary drive issue, Synology does have a list of compatible drives, so as long as you stick to those you should be fine.
(04-21-2023, 03:26 PM)ed Wrote: Based on your requirements and budget, I would recommend taking a look at the QNAP TVS-h1688X and the TVS-h1288X. Both models offer 10GbE ports and support M.2 NVMe SSD caching. The TVS-h1688X has 16 drive bays, while the TVS-h1288X has 12 drive bays, giving you plenty of room for storage expansion. Both models also support QNAP's proprietary QTS operating system and the ability to run virtual machines and Docker containers. Additionally, QNAP uses standard hard drive interfaces, so you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty with third-party drives.

If you're set on sticking with Synology, the DS1821+ and the DS2422+ are both solid options. While they don't have 10GbE ports, you could add a 10GbE network card to the NAS for faster data transfer speeds. Both models also support SHR, which can be useful for managing different sized hard drives. As for the proprietary drive issue, Synology does have a list of compatible drives, so as long as you stick to those you should be fine.

Interesting. I'd pretty much decided on the DS1821+, but it's over 2 years old. I'm wondering what the likelihood is that Synology will release a replacement. I'd love to have the DS3622xs or the DS1823xs, but those don't allow 3rd party drives or SHR. It also bugs me that they don't allow more than 32Gb of RAM. But anyway, the cost difference isn't worth what you get. After all of that, the only thing that keeps me holding off is a processor upgrade in a potential replacement for the DS1821+. But the main reason I'm interested in an upgrade is that I'd like some graphics capability for media servers. Is there any history of Synology using a CPU with integrated graphics? I haven't seen anything of the sort. So what do you think the likelihood a replacement will come in the next few months? This is why your suggestions about QNAP are interesting. QNAP DOES use CPUs with integrated graphics in at least some of their machines. Unfortunately, QNAP has no equivalent for SHR. Thanks for your help.