Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS

I need a NAS rack setup for file backup, massive video and picture backup, Plex server, vpn setup, and access and upload from anywhere in the world. I am looking for a 8-12 Bay Synology NAS rack station and came across the RS2423RP+. I want to begin with a RAID setup that will begin with 4 of the WD Red Pro 18TB drives and then add additional drives to the Raid 6 config later. Can that be done without losing data on the initial raid setup? I am wanting Raid 6 to account for two failed drives if that ever happens again…trying to be safe this time. Also, does Synology software have a feature for full daily backup to cloud service? If not, can you please recommend a cloud service? Please let me know your thoughts about my planning above. Your expertise will be much appreciated. And, thank you for all of the great videos on YouTube. They are extremely helpful and your knowledge is surpassed by none.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Shahzad Qadri
Regarding your questions, the Synology RS2423RP+ is an excellent choice for your use case. It is a high-performance 12-bay NAS that can accommodate your storage needs and offer all the features you require, including a Plex server, VPN setup, and remote access.

To answer your first question, you can certainly add additional drives to a RAID 6 configuration without losing any data on the initial RAID setup. You can simply insert the new drives into the available bays on the Synology RS2423RP+ and then expand the existing RAID array to include the new drives. The expansion process will take some time, and you will need to make sure your data is backed up elsewhere in case anything goes wrong, but the process is straightforward and can be done without losing any data.

As for your second question, Synology NAS devices come with built-in backup tools that can be used to back up your data to various cloud services such as Amazon S3, Glacier, or Google Drive. Additionally, Synology's Hyper Backup application allows you to back up your data to remote Synology NAS devices or other backup destinations. You can also use third-party cloud services such as Backblaze, Dropbox, or OneDrive, among others.

Regarding your planning, it sounds solid, and I don't see any issues. With four WD Red Pro 18TB drives in RAID 6, you will have a total of 36TB of usable storage while maintaining data protection against two drive failures. It is also wise to consider adding more drives later on to increase storage capacity while maintaining data protection.

I hope this information helps.