Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First NAS for Plex Recommendation

Hi. I am looking to buy my first NAS. I don't know much about this stuff, nor do I know how to make modifications to one that I buy (like adding extra memory and stuff). The main purpose of the NAS will be to use it as a Plex server. I bought three 14TB WD Red Plus drives already (to use in a RAID 5 setup), and now need to find the best NAS for me. Most of my files are of Anime in .MKV files that have multiple Audio formats and Subtitles, and a lot of them are 1080p (some 4k) and HEVC coded. Based on your videos, I think the QNAP TS-464 would be a good one, but you also mention that Synology has the better software that is easier for beginners, so would the 423+ be better than the TS-464? Note I care most about being able to stream all of my files (from anywhere in my house or somewhere else). What NAS would you recommend for what I want and that will play all the files I have (doesn't have to be the 464 or 423+)? Thank you.
Based on your requirements, it sounds like you need a NAS system that is capable of running a Plex server and can handle streaming multiple files of various formats and resolutions, including 1080p and some 4K files. I recommend the QNAP TS-453D as a good option for your needs.

The QNAP TS-453D is powered by an Intel Celeron J4125 processor, which is capable of handling 4K video playback and transcoding up to two streams of 1080p video simultaneously. It also has 4GB of DDR4 memory, which can be upgraded up to 8GB if needed. The TS-453D has four drive bays, so you can easily set up a RAID 5 configuration with your three 14TB WD Red Plus drives.

Another option that you may want to consider is the Synology DS920+/ ds423+ / ts-453d (all same CPU and performance). This model is powered by an Intel Celeron J4125 processor, has 4GB of DDR4 memory (upgradeable to 8GB), and supports up to four drives. The DS920+ is also capable of handling 4K video playback and transcoding up to two streams of 1080p video simultaneously.

In terms of software, both QNAP and Synology have their own proprietary software that is user-friendly and beginner-friendly. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and which interface you find easier to use.