Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Import current diskset in new install (as secondary array) - Solved

Question 
I have several Synologies (is that the correct plural form?) and this question is in regard to the setup of my DS1821+

I have 5 disks installed in a SHR2 array.

I’m now thinking about buying into the Surveillance Station for 10 cameras.

My thought is that I would like to have the video stored on SSDs that I will buy (Micron 5400 MAX is the front contender at the moment).

Dockers in the future and the current logserver can also be write intensive, and other reasons are why I would like to have the SSD array to be the "boot" array and where all applications and data will be stored by default.

So I’m thinking/wondering if the following would work?

If I remove my current 5 disks from the NAS.
I put in the (SATA) SSDs and create a new volume and install and configure the system.

Is there a way to import the array that I have on my 5 disks and retain the data, this would practically make this array the second array in the NAS?

I don’t want a kludge solution that will probably be possible by running some (many) shell commands.

So the question is if anyone has tried this and know that it is officially supported?

OK so Here is my Edit after trying the following.

Inserted the two 2.5" SSDs in the NAS in bay 1 and 2.
Removed the current 5 disks.

Started the NAS and configured the two SSD's in SHR-1.
System installed and set up. Shut down system.

Put in the ohter 5 disks in bay 4-8.
Started system.

System boots up.

Looking in the Storage Manager and the five old disks are seen as an array and I have the option to "adopt" them (don't remember the specific term uses in the GUI).
After doing this and the system running a check for this array - which took 24+ hours for me.

Then the 5 disks are seen as Volume2 and I did not need to restore from backup.

Note!
I did not setup any share before I did the above operation.
When it was done then the shares I had on the old array (5 disks) showed up as shared folders.

I don't know if this is a feature in the latest version of DSM or not. But I'm surprised in a positive way as I was expecting to have restore from my backup.

My systems:
DS1821+, 10 Gbit NIC, 32 GB RAM, 5 Exynos 14 TB (1 spare on shelf) | DS3612XS, 10 Gbit NIC, 12 WD RED 3 TB (one hot spare)
Most likely these drives will show up as uninitialised and will ask you to format them. You will need to copy that data to a USB backup and then copy them back when you have done reset on the NAS.
Having SSD as a first volume will install OS and apps on this volume.
(04-12-2023, 09:05 AM)ed Wrote: Most likely these drives will show up as uninitialised and will ask you to format them. You will need to copy that data to a USB backup and then copy them back when you have done reset on the NAS.
Having SSD as a first volume will install OS and apps on this volume.

This is what my investigations have also lead to - but practice and theory are not always the same so I thought to ask if anyone had done what I propose and could give their summary of what actually happened.

My systems:
DS1821+, 10 Gbit NIC, 32 GB RAM, 5 Exynos 14 TB (1 spare on shelf) | DS3612XS, 10 Gbit NIC, 12 WD RED 3 TB (one hot spare)