Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS?

Looking to purchase my first NAS with two things in mind:
- backup for years of family photos,
- and to host our growing catalogue of movies purchased on iTunes.

I currently stream movies from iTunes via Apple TV (both physical boxes and some via Smart TV embedded apps). But I learned the hard way a few years ago that Apple can pull purchased content from its store meaning that, unless you have downloaded a copy, you lose access. I have therefore begun downloading all my purchases but, combined with all my photos, means I am now at c.3TB of content spread across my Mac and its 4TB Samsung SSD. And there is no where to back this up.

So, the main requirement of the NAS is to provide a backup to all this but, if I could stream content directly from it to other devices in my home network (Apple TVs, Smart TVs etc) then even better. My network is driven by an Asus XT12 Pro router with 2.5gbe LAN so I figure a NAS that can work at those speeds would be beneficial.
Maybe consider DS423+. This model comes with quad-core Celeron inside. This will make it excellent multimedia solution.
You will also get great apps for backing up your media and accessing it remotely.
If you need 2.5GbE you can use USB 2.5G adapter.
Otherwise, consider Qnap ts-464 model.

I hope this helps.