Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice on Choosing the Correct Synology Device

Hi, love your YouTube channel. I am looking to move from my Drobo that's attached to a 2008 MacMini, over to a Synology NAS. I am torn between the DS423+ and the DS923+, and would like to eventually be running SHR-2 but am also open to others. I generally use Macs for all my work. Google Workspace as well. I am looking to use it for file and photo (not professional) storage as well as possibly moving our home CCTV over to it, which is currently 3 Eufy cameras, but will be adding a few more. The camera feeds are shared with my mother so she can keep an eye on my grandfather in the home when I am not here with him. I have a Plex server that ran on my MacMini, but haven't added anything to the library since ripping DVDs years ago. It's mostly used for streaming rare MP3s I have. My question is mostly with the Surveillance Station. Does it run better on the Intel or AMD chips? Being able to keep a close eye on my 96 year old grandfather is important. I may also run a VM at some point.
Based on your requirements, I would recommend the Synology DS423+ as a good option for your needs. It is a Celeron-based model, which you mentioned you preferred, and it should have sufficient power to handle your file and photo storage, as well as your surveillance camera feeds. It also has support for SHR-2, which provides greater data protection compared to RAID-1.

Regarding the Surveillance Station application, it should run well on the Intel Celeron CPU found in the DS423+. The application can utilize hardware acceleration features found in some CPUs to improve performance, and the cpu has built-in Intel UHD Graphics 600 that supports hardware decoding of video streams. This can help reduce CPU usage when processing multiple camera feeds.

If you decide to run a VM at some point, it is worth noting that the DS423+ has virtualization support through its Virtual Machine Manager application. However, keep in mind that running a VM will consume additional system resources, so you may need to upgrade the RAM to accommodate this.

Overall, the Synology DS423+ should be a good fit for your needs, with sufficient power to handle your storage, surveillance, and streaming requirements.