Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacement NAS

I have a 9 year old ZyXel NAS with 2 x 2TB drives in RAID 1 which I use for long term storage and as a music server. It is getting full and is no longer supported so I am nervous about just getting larger drives. I want a new setup to be able to store and serve about 1.5 TB of music, 250 GB of office files and backup two new users over internet. I want to run the latest version Logitech Media Server, Home Assistant and Roon ARC. Roon say ”Most QNAP, Synology, and Asustor devices with a 64-bit x86 CPU, like Intel or AMD, and at least 2GB RAM are supported. We strongly recommend 4GB of RAM and an SSD for the Roon databases.” I am considering buying an Asustor Lockerstor 2 Gen 2 AS6702T 2 Bay NAS with 2 x 8 TB Seagate IronWolf drives and 1 M.2 SSD, and possibly upgrading from the 4 GB RAM. Does this sound OK?
The Asustor Lockerstor 2 Gen 2 AS6702T with 2 x 8 TB Seagate IronWolf drives and an M.2 SSD for caching should be a good choice for your requirements. With 16 TB of storage in a RAID 1 configuration, it will provide ample space for your music and office files, and the ability to backup two new users over the internet. It also has a 64-bit x86 CPU and 4 GB of RAM (which you may choose to upgrade), meeting Roon's recommended specifications for running Roon and other applications.

One thing to keep in mind is that Roon and other applications can be resource-intensive, especially when performing database operations. With this in mind, you may want to consider upgrading the RAM beyond the recommended 4 GB to ensure smooth operation when running multiple applications at the same time. Additionally, having an M.2 SSD for caching can help speed up access to frequently accessed files, such as music files, improving overall system performance.