Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

wd red plus drives

Hi,

I am finally upgrading my synology ds214play which I currently use with a plex pass for my media as well as business lap top and home photo/video back ups. I have been waiting for the new 4 bay plus series and have decided on the 423+ with the additional RAM mostly due to integrated graphics. (would have preferred this on the 923+ but hey ho)

To date I have used WD red drives and have found them to be reliable, therefore I was going to use 4 x 6tb wd plus drives in a raid 10 configuration.

My question; I can see that there are two types of wd red drives efpx and efzx, can you tell me which one would be better suited to this system please? the efpx has a larger cache but slower rpm, are the efpx newer and therefore better? I am I perhaps worrying about nothing?

Many thanks.
Lewis
Both the WD Red EFPX and EFZX are designed for use in NAS systems, so either one should work fine in your system.

The main difference between the two is that the EFPX has a larger cache size (256 MB vs 128 MB), while the EFZX has a higher rotational speed (5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM).

A larger cache can help with faster access times for frequently used data, while a higher rotational speed can improve overall performance, especially when dealing with large files.

That being said, the choice between the two ultimately depends on your specific use case and preferences. If you are primarily using your NAS for file storage and sharing, the EFPX with its larger cache may be more suitable. If you are using your NAS for tasks that require faster access times or higher performance, such as running virtual machines or hosting a database, the EFZX with its higher rotational speed may be a better choice.

In general, however, the difference in performance between the two drives may not be noticeable in most use cases. So, you may not need to worry too much about it and can choose based on your budget and personal preference.