Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transcode

Hi

I want to buy a NAS for music and movie but i saw that you're talking about transcoding.
I have lots of 4K movie with HEVC / H265 codec and i want to watch it on an apple tv (on the apple website, they didn't talk about the H265 support). I saw that the INFUSE player can read H265 codec.
So if I use Infuse on my apple TV does it have to transcode ?
Because i want to buy the Synology DS220j that is not really powerful and i think i will not be able to transcode.

If it has to transcode, which Synology NAS will be ok for me ? (I saw the DS218play and the DS220+)

Thanks in advance for your answer and all your work to help people with NAS.

Regards

Quentin Monnier
If you use Infuse on your Apple TV to play HEVC/H.265 encoded 4K movies, it should not require transcoding. Infuse is capable of direct playing HEVC/H.265 encoded videos on the Apple TV, so the NAS does not need to transcode the videos.

However, keep in mind that the Synology DS220j is not a powerful NAS and may struggle with streaming high bitrate 4K video files, even without transcoding. You may experience buffering or stuttering during playback.

If you want a more powerful NAS that can handle 4K video streaming without any issues, you may want to consider the Synology DS218play or the DS220+. Both of these models are more powerful than the DS220j and are capable of streaming 4K videos with ease.

The DS218play is specifically designed for multimedia purposes and has a hardware-accelerated transcoding engine, which means it can transcode videos in real-time. However, since you are using Infuse, which supports direct playing of HEVC/H.265 encoded videos, transcoding may not be necessary.

The DS220+ is also a good option, as it has a more powerful CPU and can handle more demanding tasks, including 4K video streaming. It also has hardware-accelerated encryption and can handle up to two 4K video streams simultaneously.