Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Remote Connection

I am an architect I have a Synology DS220j with two 3.6TB drives though currently using only 200GB. I back up to a SSD drive which I take off site in the evening. My colleague and I currently access the NAS on a LAN. I am planning to move to a laptop to enable working from home. The internet access at one of the locations I will be remote working from won't have the best internet connectivity. Do you have any advice as to how I should access my files remotely (CAD and graphics included)? As I see it my options are Synology QuickConnect, a VPN or using Cloud access through Google Drive or similar. I currently backup to Google Drive using Clous connect. Obviously security is a major consideration.
Thank you for reaching out for advice on how to securely access your files remotely from your Synology DS220j NAS, especially since you will be working from home and the internet connectivity at one of your remote locations might not be the best.

Based on the information you provided, I would recommend considering Tailscale as a potential solution for securely accessing your files remotely. Tailscale is a peer-to-peer VPN solution that uses modern cryptographic protocols like WireGuard, and it has multi-factor authentication and access controls, which can help to improve security.

Tailscale provides a simple and easy-to-use interface for creating secure connections between devices without having to set up complex VPN infrastructure. It uses a mesh network architecture, which can result in faster and more reliable connections, especially compared to traditional VPN solutions. Also, since you and your colleague currently access the NAS on a LAN, Tailscale would be a great solution to consider as it does not require port forwarding on your router, making it easy to set up and configure.

Additionally, Tailscale can work with your existing setup, as it can be used in conjunction with your current backup solution to Google Drive using Cloud Connect. With Tailscale, you can securely and efficiently access your files remotely, even when the internet connectivity is not optimal.