Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help me choose the right NAS

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first NAS. My budget cap is around 500€ and that does not include drives. Currently I have my eye on Synology DS423+ or the Asustor as5304t. My primary use would be to use the server as a 4k capable media server and maybe add some surveillance cameras into it as well. Also I might host some docker applications for home use.

Also should I buy SSD drives instead of HDD? I would like the NAS to be quiet as I live in a 1 room apartment.

Any recommendations?
Both the Synology DS423+ and the Asustor AS5304T are good options within your budget for a 4k capable media server with the ability to host Docker applications and surveillance cameras.

Regarding the choice of drives, SSDs are faster and more reliable than HDDs, but they are also more expensive. If you want the best performance and noise reduction, SSDs would be the better option, but they may not be necessary for your needs. You can also consider using a combination of SSDs and HDDs, where the SSDs can be used for caching to speed up access to frequently used files.

In terms of noise reduction, both Synology and Asustor offer options for quiet operation, such as fanless designs or low-noise fans. Make sure to check the noise levels of the specific models you are interested in and consider using SSDs or a combination of SSDs and HDDs to reduce noise further.

Overall, both the Synology DS423+ and the Asustor AS5304T are good options for your needs, and you can choose based on factors such as specific features, noise levels, and overall design.