Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Was purchase help...

Hi there I love the channel and appreciate the PRO help Smile

Im looking at a NAS system mainly for these things:

1/ Regular automated backup ability from Mac OS and PC - (audio and video files )

2/The ability to access NAS drive like a desktop drive (speed is quite important to an extent ) to read and check 4k video files and listen to wav audio files/ mp3's. As long as its on par with a wd red 5400 speed - 200 - ish read that would be great!

I actually purchased 3 (yes 3) NAS drives before I found your channel! Could you tell me please if they are actually worth keeping for the tasks above and if there are better alternatives within the £300 range?

I purchased :

ASUSTOR AS6204T
QNAP TS- 453 PRO
QNAP - TS - 251 +

Thank you for your time Smile

Andrew

The three NAS drives you purchased, the ASUSTOR AS6204T, QNAP TS-453 PRO, and QNAP TS-251+, are all capable NAS drives that can handle the tasks you mentioned, such as automated backups and access to 4K video and high-quality audio files. However, each of these models has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it's important to consider which one would work best for your specific needs.

In terms of automated backups, all three of these NAS drives should be able to handle backups from Mac OS and PC with ease. However, the QNAP models have more robust backup features, including the ability to schedule backups, versioning, and backup to cloud services. The ASUSTOR model also has backup features, but they are not as comprehensive as those found on the QNAP models.

For accessing the NAS drive like a desktop drive, the QNAP models have an advantage due to their faster processors and higher memory capacity. This means that they can handle more simultaneous users and file transfers, resulting in faster speeds. However, the ASUSTOR model is not far behind, and its 4K multimedia playback capabilities are actually better than the QNAP models.

In terms of speed, the QNAP TS-453 PRO should be the fastest due to its quad-core processor and 8GB of memory. The ASUSTOR AS6204T and QNAP TS-251+ have lower specs but should still be able to provide adequate performance for your needs.

Overall, all three of these NAS drives are capable devices that should work well for your needs. However, if you are looking for a better alternative within the £300 range, you may want to consider the Synology DS220+. This is a newer model with similar specifications to the QNAP TS-251+ but with a more user-friendly interface and better software features. It should also provide adequate performance for your needs, with read speeds of around 220 MB/s.