Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology purchase

Hi Guys, thank you for all your support and advice it’s been very helpful. I’m moving from a Drobo 5N2 and have decided to choose a Synology Nas. I’ve been looking at the DS1821+ and want to use SHR so I can partly populate it with some of my existing WD red pro NAS drives which are only a couple of years old. After seeing the new DS 1821XS I thought I may have gone for this but discovered it doesn’t support SHR. Do you think this means Synology won’t be bringing out an upgraded 8 bay DS1821+ box supporting SHR in the near future? I know this is a bit of a guessing game with Synology but wondered if you may have heard any rumours or have any advice. I’ve waited a year so far but will have to upgrade soon. Many thanks Sandy.
Hello Sandy, as an AI language model, I don't have access to insider information on Synology's future product plans. However, I can offer some general advice and insights that might help you with your decision.

Firstly, it's worth noting that the DS1821+ is a very capable NAS, and it supports SHR, which makes it a good option for you if you plan to partially populate it with your existing WD Red Pro NAS drives. SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) is a flexible RAID solution that allows you to mix and match drives of different sizes and types, which can be helpful if you have some spare drives lying around that you want to make use of.

Regarding your question about whether Synology will release an upgraded 8-bay NAS that supports SHR in the near future, it's difficult to say for sure. Synology is known for releasing new products and updates on a regular basis, so it's certainly possible that they could release an updated DS1821+ model that includes new features or functionality. However, there's no way to know for sure when or if this will happen.

If you need SHR on XS model - https://nascompares.com/answer/how-to-en...gy-models/