Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacing a WD MyCloud and a PC

Good Morning,

I have a (currently offline due to WD Outages) 6TB MyCloud Home which is 4.5TB full, and an older (2015) Windows 10 PC which runs NVR Software for my CCTV. I am looking to massively beef up my NAS solution as theMyCloud was so slow and would frequently crash Finder and File Explorer due to WD's software. I need a NAS which can hold Documents, Movies, Music, Photos, and videos. I'm also looking for one which can be used as an NVR with Reolink Cameras and stream video over the network via Plex or something similar. I'd love to be able to edit 4Kvideos from it but that might not be possible.

I was thinking about upgrading to 2.5GBE in my house now that I have Gigabit internet and nothing can take full advantage of its speed. I was looking at Synology and they don't have anything which is 2.5GBE unless you get the 10GBE NIC for it.

I am thinking about a DS1522+, or failing that a custom build with TrueNAS. What would you recommend in my scenario?

Thanks,

James.
In your scenario, I would recommend going for the Synology DS1522+ as it is a powerful and reliable NAS that can hold a variety of media files including documents, movies, music, and photos. It also has the capability to be used as an NVR with Reolink Cameras and can stream video over the network via Plex or a similar software.

While the DS1522+ doesn't support 4K transcoding, it is still a great option for those who need a powerful and reliable NAS for their media needs. Additionally, it doesn't have a 2.5GBE card, but it can support a 2.5GBE LAN USB adapter to provide faster speeds if needed.

Otherwise, Qnap ts-664 would have all the hardware you need.