Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Firat nas - mainly storing videos for archive

Hi there, I’ve been watching your videos for a week now! so thanks a lot for the quality content!

Im buying my first NAS and I believe that the asustor driverstor 4 will do most of the work I need, but not too sure. Whats been buging me is the ability to use different drives on synology platform so yeah not that sure if I should lower the capacity and get synology or go with the asustor.

thanks a lot!
leo
Choosing a NAS can be tough, but you should think about what you want to use it for before you make a decision. When it comes to the Asustor Drivestor 4 and a Synology NAS, there are some things to consider.

One thing to keep in mind is the compatibility with different hard drives. Synology is known for working with many different brands and models, even some that aren't officially supported. Asustor also supports many different drives, but it might be worth checking their compatibility list to make sure your preferred drive is supported.

Another thing to think about is the user interface and software features. Both Synology and Asustor offer user-friendly interfaces and lots of software features, but you might want to compare them to see which one suits your needs better.

Overall, the Asustor Drivestor 4 might be a good choice if it meets your storage needs and is within your budget. However, if you value compatibility with a wider range of hard drives, or if you prefer Synology's user interface and software features, then a Synology NAS might be a better fit for you.

The Synology DS423+ is a great NAS for multimedia purposes, as it has a quad-core Intel Celeron J4025 processor and 2GB DDR4 memory (expandable up to 8GB). This should provide enough processing power to handle multiple media streams and transcoding.

One of the strengths of Synology NAS devices is their software features and quality apps. Synology has a large app store with many options for multimedia, including the popular Plex media server and Video Station for organizing and streaming videos. Additionally, Synology's operating system, DiskStation Manager (DSM), is known for its user-friendly interface and robust features.

Another advantage of the DS423+ is its ability to mix different types and sizes of drives. This can be useful if you already have some hard drives you want to use with the NAS or if you want to upgrade your storage in stages.