Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS wake on lan

Hi there,
I'M wondering if you know why my Synology NAS ignores my Wake on Lan Magic Package from time to time. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But always sending it from the very same environment and network. Is there something known as a bug with Synology? I tried already googling it, but came up with nothing. The NAS (DS218+) has also a schedule enabled for waking up and shutting down. Can it be related to that?

Best regards and big thanks,
Dennis
It's been awhile since I have played around with the WOL but yes, having a power schedule did mess it up. I finally went with the power off/on schedule which worked but there was some weirdness with that also.

If a scheduled Data Scrubbing was being performed, and a power off schedule was to occur, it would stay on doing the scrubbing which was good - but it would not power off until the next scheduled power off. But if a backup (ABB) or a Hyper backup were in progress, it would shut down if a power off was scheduled during that same time - not good. Their logic seemed a bit ass-backward and I opened a ticket and as I recall, the answer was "That is by design".

In the end I just leave the power on all the NAS units I have in my office and at clients site. Less hassle.

This was noted after version 7.0 came out and I haven't retested WOL on any of the latest 7.1 updates. Just try turning off your power schedule and testing it. Also do you have hard drive hibernation turned on? I noticed that I would get timeouts for some actions waiting for the drives to spin up in the past on the DS718+ but not on the DS920+. I now use hdd hibernation with a 10 min delay and when a remote NAS is backing up to my office everything works as per the backup schedule. So that is essentially a WOL too so if you're experiencing hit and miss operation, turn off the power schedule and hdd hibernation. If that doesn't work, I would open a ticket with Synology.
BobS
(04-09-2023, 12:30 PM)Enquiries Wrote: Hi there,
I'M wondering if you know why my Synology NAS ignores my Wake on Lan Magic Package from time to time. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But always sending it from the very same environment and network. Is there something known as a bug with Synology? I tried already googling it, but came up with nothing. The NAS (DS218+) has also a schedule enabled for waking up and shutting down. Can it be related to that?

Best regards and big thanks,
Dennis

I only use MR2200 router from Synology. This has never failed me to wake up the NAS. Maybe something to consider.