Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Asustor 6704T setup

I read and watched your reviews on various NAS devices which ultimately helped my decide on the Asustor 6704T, great stuff and many thanks!

My question is: I remember seeing on one of your reviews a comment about setting up the M2 SSDs to run in RAID 1 (mirror) for data security.
With this in mind my thinking is 4 hard disks (2x 10Tb new HDDs, and 2 older, existing 6tB HDDs I already own) which will be setup as 2x RAID1 (mirror) for data security, as well as 4x 1Tb Samsung M2 SSDs.

The Samsung M2 SSDs I was planning to setup as 2x 1Tb RAID1 mirrors; one for the ADM OS/software and one as a cache.
Is this a sensible setup? Data security is most important. I won't be using this NAS as a file or media server, only for backups.
Congratulations on your new Asustor 6704T NAS! It's great to hear that my reviews were helpful in making your decision.

Regarding your question, setting up the M2 SSDs in RAID 1 (mirror) is definitely a good idea for data security. In fact, RAID 1 is one of the simplest and most effective ways to protect against disk failure, as it creates an exact copy of your data on both disks.

As for using the M2 SSDs as cache, this can definitely improve the performance of your NAS, especially if you're doing a lot of read and write operations. However, keep in mind that SSD cache is not a substitute for a proper RAID setup, as it only improves performance, not data redundancy.

The setup you are planning sounds good.
Configure the 2x 10TB HDDs as a RAID 1 (mirror) array for data storage.
Configure the 2x 6TB HDDs as a separate RAID 1 (mirror) array for data storage.
Configure the 2x 1TB M2 SSDs as a RAID 1 (mirror) array for ADM OS and software.
Configure the remaining 2x 1TB M2 SSDs as a cache pool for improved performance.