Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photos backup on NAS

Hello,

I watched a lot of your videos. I'm interested to buy a 1 bay storage NAS mainly to backup my photos and videos. I see there are mainly two options - QNAP or Synology. I like the idea to have something like self hosted google photos.
My question is - with QNAP can I have multiple users that will have something like their own "google photos" accounts on my NAS server? For example me and my wife both to have QuMagie on our mobile phones and each of us to have its own set of photos that will be AI processed and tagged.
In a YouTube video I understood there is such option with Synology, but I like more QNAP.
I think the multiple "photos app" accounts is a deal breaker for a lot of people, but both companies say nothing on their features pages about that.
Yes, both QNAP and Synology NAS devices allow for multiple user accounts and the ability to create separate personal spaces or shared folders for each user. This means that you can have separate "Google Photos" accounts for each user on your NAS server, with their own sets of photos that can be AI processed and tagged using QNAP's QuMagie app or Synology's Moments app.

To set this up on a QNAP NAS, you would need to create user accounts for each person and set up shared folders for each account. Then, you can install the QuMagie app on each person's mobile phone and connect it to their respective shared folder to sync and manage their photos.

It's worth noting that both QNAP and Synology have slightly different user interfaces and features, so it may be worth looking into both options to see which one fits your needs better.
DS118 or TS-133 is good options.