Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS to choose

Hi I'd need a device that my family would use mainly to sync smartphone photos and videos and personal files. So the software that would sync the photos automatically is very important. Also I would be interested to make a plex host out of that machine. And a small note, I wonder if it's very noisy, because my router is in one of my bedrooms, so there is no possibility at the moment to put my NAS somewhere else. Would it disturb my sleep, do the ventilators turn on randomly or only if you download upload something?
So it should have a good app for photos sync, should be able to host Plex, and would be good if it were silent enough to put it in the bedroom.
Thank you very much in advance I appreciate your help.
Based on your requirements, I would recommend the Synology DS220+ or DS423+ for your needs.

Both of these models have good software for automatic photo syncing and can also function as a Plex host. The DS220+ has a dual-core Intel Celeron J4025 processor and 2GB of DDR4 memory, while the DS423+ has a quad-core Intel Celeron J4125 processor and 4GB of DDR4 memory (same as DS920+). Both are capable of handling photo syncing and Plex hosting.

In terms of noise level, Synology NAS devices are generally quiet and should not be too disruptive to your sleep. You can also adjust the fan settings to run at a lower speed or enable hibernation or shutdown during the night to minimize noise. Or use SSD instead.

If you're looking for a more future-proofed option, I would suggest going for the DS423+ with its more powerful processor and greater amount of memory. This will provide better performance for running multiple applications simultaneously and may better suit your needs in the long term.