Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS... Naas Nooos No Stop Please help

I'm very confused about which route to go down.

It started when I started getting rid of all my old DVDs. I'm ripping them to my main HDD (4 Tb). I'm currently just using MakeMKV to rip. After the DVDs are done ill start on my Blu Rays. I also have a moderate amount of old media files currently on my PC 2Tb or so (formats all over the place- Unsure about transcoding). Not sure of the final size of all these files 4-6Tb?

I would like to have access to my media via a NAS for the main TVs in the house (2 perhaps 3). I would also like to be able to keep important files on the NAS (Photos.CVs etc)

I cannot figure out which option is best for me
I have watched hours and hours of your videos and others and keep going around in circles.

Unsure if something like the QNAP TS-464 will be enough for what I need

Or if I should build my own NAS (Especially as the hardware seems far more powerful for similar money)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/csHXDq

Any help is appreciated

R

Choosing the right solution can definitely be overwhelming, but I'm here to help you out!

Based on your needs, I think a pre-built NAS such as the QNAP TS-464 could be a good option for you. However, it's important to ensure that the NAS you choose can handle the amount of media you plan to store and stream.

Since you mentioned you're unsure of the final size of your media files, it may be worth calculating the total size of your media library and then adding some additional space for future growth. This can help you determine the amount of storage you'll need.

In terms of streaming, it's important to consider the number of concurrent streams you plan to have and the types of media you'll be streaming. For example, streaming 4K video requires more bandwidth than streaming 1080p video.

If you're concerned about hardware performance, building your own NAS can be a good option, but keep in mind that it may require more technical expertise and time to set up and maintain compared to a pre-built solution.

Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preferences and comfort level with technology.
The cart you have with i5 CPU would certainly be the most powerful system that could transcode 4k and have an option for GPU card if needed. But for local streaming you will most likely stream original files not transcoded.