Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DAS RAID

I'm looking for a DAS RAID System primarily for fast 4k video editing and storage of large files.
I'm always buying external hard drives but they inevitably fail over time, so I wanted to have a RAID system for more reliable storage. I'm looking for something with 5 or more bays so I can put 8TB drives in them. I'm not a tech guru, so all the different options are causing more confusion than clarity. I don't need a NAS because only 1 computer accesses the files. I don't know what would be faster for video editing concerning connection (thunderbolt, or USB 3) or which type of drives to get (inron wolf or Western Digital). It would be nice to have SSD compatability just in case I want to upgrade later. I'm mostly finding boxes which don't include RAID, or NAS systems which I don't need. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
For a DAS RAID system with 5 or more bays, I recommend looking at the following options:

OWC ThunderBay 6: This is a 6-bay Thunderbolt 3 enclosure that supports hardware RAID and can accommodate up to 6 3.5" or 2.5" hard drives or SSDs. It supports a maximum transfer rate of up to 1500MB/s, making it ideal for fast video editing.

G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt 3: This is a 2-bay or 4-bay Thunderbolt 3 enclosure that supports hardware RAID and can accommodate up to 2 or 4 3.5" hard drives. It supports a maximum transfer rate of up to 500MB/s for the 2-bay version and up to 800MB/s for the 4-bay version.

HighPoint RocketStor 6661A: This is a 6-bay USB 3.2 Gen 2 enclosure that supports hardware RAID and can accommodate up to 6 3.5" or 2.5" hard drives or SSDs. It supports a maximum transfer rate of up to 10Gbps, making it ideal for fast video editing.

Or budget options would be Terramaster DAS / Thunderbolt models.

When it comes to hard drives, both Seagate IronWolf and Western Digital Red Pro are good options for a RAID system. SSDs are faster than traditional hard drives, but they are also more expensive. If you want to have SSD compatibility in the future, you may want to consider getting an enclosure that supports both hard drives and SSDs.