Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacing WD My Cloud ex2 Ultra

I own a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra with 2 x 2TB WD RED Drives in Raid 1. I use it to store Family photos, videos, music, and basic files. I use Windows and Linux computers. The other day I noticed it was not accessible by any of my computers. I fun it seemed fairly warm. I thought it was dead. After multiple unpluggings and thinking it was a lost cause. It started working again. I think it go over heated. Thinking about replacing it with something else. Question 1) Do you think this could have been a fluke and the NAS is alright. Question 2) should I reuse the drives in a new NAS? Question 3) What NAS would you recommend that is Windows an Linux Friendly, better than what I have, that also allows remote access with my phone? My Cloud has a phone app that lets me access my files away from home.
Regarding your first question, it's possible that the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra experienced an issue due to overheating, but it's also possible that it was caused by a different problem. If the NAS has been working normally since then, it might have been a one-time occurrence, but it's a good idea to keep an eye on it just in case.

As for your second question, if the drives in your WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra are still working well and haven't been damaged due to overheating, it's definitely possible to reuse them in a different NAS. However, you should test the drives thoroughly and make sure to back up all your data before transferring them over to a new NAS, just to be safe.

In terms of finding a new NAS, I would recommend checking out the Synology DS220+. It's a great option for both Windows and Linux users, and it also allows for remote access via mobile app. It has a user-friendly interface and supports a variety of features, including hardware encryption, dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, and the ability to expand storage with external drives. It's definitely worth considering as a replacement for your current WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra!