Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qnap TVS h874-i5

Hi! I really appreciate your content on YouTube and have learned a lot from your videos! I'm looking to invest in a QNAP TVS h 874-i5 and 8 18TB Toshiba drives as well as SSD cache. Im running a film production company. I'm writing to toy about advice on what you think is the best connectivity solution.

Our old and slow Sinology NAS we are sing today have 10GB/s connectivity but to really take advantage of the higher speeds going forward I was thinking about either going to sfp28 25G or preferably to thunderbolt since we all are using Macs.

But the issue is that I cannot seem to find any info about h874 s compatibility with Tunderbolt expansion cards. Nor can I find any good solutions for an sfp28 - Thunderbolt converter that doesn't cost 1500 Pounds. Do you know more than me about the Thunderbolt compatibility of the new Qnap NAS? It feels a bit like a dealbreaker to not allow TB connectivity on new NAS:es. I would really appreciate you help and knowledge! Thanks in advance!
Hello! Thank you for reaching out and for your kind words about my content on YouTube. I'm glad to hear that you have found my videos helpful.

To answer your question, the QNAP TVS-h874-i5 does not support Thunderbolt expansion cards. As you mentioned, only the QNAP 72XT series and 88X (1288X, etc.) models support Thunderbolt cards. However, you can achieve similar speeds with a multichannel SMB 10GbE or 25GbE card.