Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Plex

I currently have a DS1019+ with the DX517 expansion filled with 14tb drives. It's about 82% full so I'm looking to expand. I like the ease of the Synology platform because I'm not very computer savvy but they don't seem to offer a robust NAS for PLEX like the 1019+ with plenty of expansion capability (unless I missed something). I saw the recent QNAP TVS-h874 review and think that may be the way to go. As stated before, I'm not very computer savvy so I wonder how simple it will be to set-up and manage compared to the Synology. The majority of my media is HEVC 1080p .265 and I usually have 2 active streams, possibly 3 at times between myself and family that I share the PLEX with. Thank you!
The QNAP TVS-h874 is a great option for a robust NAS with plenty of expansion capabilities. It has an Intel Core i5-10500 6-core processor and 16GB of DDR4 memory, which should be more than capable of handling your media needs.

Setting up the QNAP should be similar to setting up your Synology NAS. QNAP has its own user-friendly web interface called QTS that is similar to Synology's DSM. It also has a similar app store where you can install applications like Plex and other media management tools.

In terms of managing the QNAP, it should be fairly straightforward. The QTS interface is designed to be user-friendly, and QNAP also provides a lot of helpful documentation and tutorials on their website.
Apps and security might not be as good, but its all configurable.