Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Completely Confused !! -

Hi. Love the site and the info.
But really confused with too much info

Ok I have a NAS - 2nd hard bargain - I am new to the NAS wordl
Qnap TP-469 Pro

It came with some drives, but they are WD and one has failed already.

So things I would like to do.

Use for NAS - Working with windows - get my user profile , either running off the NAS or for it to transfer it back and forth at login.

Use the NAS as a small webserver / email store and possible setup a mail server

For backups of my win computer.

I am still unsure the best way to setup up the NAS , in jbod / raid 5 or 6 .. or see the benefits.

Raid isnt a backup solution, but dont want to loose data.

Upgrade the memory to 3GB
Get 4 new hardrives and setup 4tb / 6tb - at good prices.
Possible SSD cache drive etc

But I am completely lost . Could you just give me your opinion and places to purchase these upgrades.

Thank you
Nick

Thank you for reaching out!

Based on your needs, the Qnap TS-464 could be a good fit for you. It's a powerful and affordable option that can handle your data storage, web server, email, and backup needs.

Regarding RAID, RAID 5 or 6 are good options for data protection as they provide redundancy. However, RAID is not a substitute for a backup solution. It's important to have a separate backup system in place to ensure that your data is safe in case of a hardware failure, accidental deletion, or other disasters.

As for upgrading your NAS, adding more memory and setting up an SSD cache drive can help improve its performance. For the hard drives, it's a good idea to go with reliable and high-quality brands like Seagate or Western Digital. You can purchase them online from retailers like Amazon or Newegg, or from local computer stores.

I hope this helps!