Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Family/home theater nas

My main focus is video for the home theater using a shield or zidoo. And storing and sharing old photos/videos from my grandparents with my extended family. There is a lot. Not sure if 2 bay with 20tb or 4 bay with smaller drives whould be better. Or something else.
Based on your requirements for video storage and sharing of old photos and videos, the Synology DS423+ (same specs as DS920+) would be a great option. This model is designed for high-performance file sharing, video transcoding, and data backup and has a 4-bay design, which provides more storage flexibility and scalability.

When it comes to video storage, having more bays allows you to expand your storage capacity by adding additional drives over time. For example, with a 4-bay NAS, you could start with 4 x 4TB drives and then add additional drives as needed, whereas with a 2-bay NAS, you would need to replace the existing drives with larger drives to increase storage capacity.

With the DS423+, you can use Synology's Video Station app to stream video to your home theater using a Shield or Zidoo device. The Video Station app also supports transcoding of video formats, so you can stream video to different devices with varying resolutions and formats. Additionally, Synology has a variety of apps for photo and video management and sharing, such as Moments and Photo Station, which would be useful for sharing old photos and videos with your extended family.