Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I do not know how to wipe my old NAS HDDs

Hello, I have been following your channel for a while and I have since purchased a QNAP NAS TS453D. I have been using the iron wolf nas drives. I have just upgraded the drives from 6TB to 12TB as I am running out of space. But I have no idea on how to wipe my old NAS drives. I have been searching around the internet, but I don't think there is a definitive guide on it. Since you are the only channel/guide that I trust. I wish to ask you this for reference. I have all 4 of my drives configured in RAID 5 formation,but I have no idea how to wipe them clean after I switch to my new drives. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
First, if you plan on repurposing or selling the old drives, you should consider securely wiping them to prevent any sensitive data from falling into the wrong hands. You can use a tool like DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to securely erase the drives. DBAN is a free and open-source tool that can be run from a USB drive or CD/DVD to wipe the entire drive, including the operating system and all data.

As for your RAID 5 configuration, you should be able to simply remove the old drives from the NAS and replace them with the new drives. The NAS should automatically recognize the new drives and rebuild the RAID array. You can then format the old drives or wipe them using one of the methods mentioned above.