Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacing aged ReadyNAS Duo

my aged Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (c2011) is probably near end of life. Main issue, no longer considered secure enough for Web control which makes management difficult. Also occasionally loses IP connection.
My big problem with any replacement is noise-level. It lives in the same study as main PC, and once I'd replaced the stock Netgear fan, it's been fine. Currently populated with 2 2TB WD Red drives. Seems very difficult to obtain noise-level ratings from manufacturers.
Main use is media - streaming music files and storing photos & documents. Shared between 2 Windows 10 PCs, also accessed by smart TVs, but doesn't get a lot of traffic.
Looking for a recommendation for QUIET replacement. Probably not enough budget to use SSDs rather than HDDs.
Based on your requirements for a quiet replacement for your aged Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, the Synology DS220+ would be a suitable option.

The Synology DS220+ is known for its low noise level due to its optimized fan and airflow design, which helps to dissipate heat and reduce noise. It is also equipped with a dual-core processor that provides high performance for media streaming and file storage.

The DS220+ supports up to two 16TB hard drives, so your 2 2TB WD Red drives can be transferred to the new NAS. Additionally, Synology has a variety of apps for media streaming and file sharing that can be accessed by Windows 10 PCs and smart TVs.

Synology also offers a robust set of security features, including data backup and snapshot features, that can help protect against ransomware and other threats.

In summary, the Synology DS220+ would be a great choice for your needs, offering low noise levels, high performance, and reliable security features.