Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quiet 4-bay NAS

Hi, I'm looking for a small quiet 4-bay NAS that I intend to equip with 2x6TB disks to start with, preferrably Synology running SHR. The main usage will be for hosting all sort of files but to a large degree movies, photos and music, I have an external mediaplayer so no need for transcoding really. Might run Plex. Need to be able to stream high bitrate movies that are 4k 60FPS (without transcoding) to my mediaplayer. The NAS will be about 12 feet from the main TV viewing position and I would like it to be as quiet as possible, what disks should I choose?
Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
/M
Based on your requirements, I would recommend the Synology DS423+ NAS for your needs. It comes with a 4-bay design and supports SHR for flexible storage management. It is also equipped with a quad-core processor and 2GB DDR4 memory, providing sufficient processing power for your multimedia streaming needs. Additionally, it has 2 built-in M.2 NVMe SSD slots, which can be used to accelerate system performance or act as a cache for frequently accessed data.

For the hard drives, I would recommend the Western Digital Red or Seagate IronWolf NAS drives, which are specifically designed for use in NAS devices and provide reliable performance for data storage and streaming. As for noise levels, the DS423+ is designed to be relatively quiet, but you may want to consider placing it in a well-ventilated area to prevent overheating and minimize noise.