Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Migration

Fab channel - your enthusiasm for NAS is infectious!
Have ordered a DS923+ enclosure as an upgrade for my ancient DS211+ (which backs up to even older DS207 & has never missed a beat!).
DS211+ runs 2x 1.8TB WD20EFRX in RAID1.
Is there a migration procedure so I can move the HDDs to the 923+ without re-formatting?
Purpose is to use the Synology Photo as a private cloud & also to host a VM that will run HomeAssistant to monitor the electricity consumption in our building via an Emporia Vue system, so from your reviews the 923+won out as we need data handling more than multimedia.
Thanks!
Thank you for your kind words about my channel!

Regarding your question, it is possible to migrate the HDDs from your DS211+ to the DS923+ without re-formatting, but there are some important considerations to keep in mind.

First, you will need to make sure that the DS923+ is running the same or newer version of DSM (DiskStation Manager) as the DS211+. This will ensure that the migration process goes smoothly.

Second, you will need to shut down both NAS devices and physically move the HDDs from the DS211+ to the DS923+. Make sure to keep the HDDs in the same order and orientation as they were in the DS211+.

Once you power on the DS923+, it should detect the existing HDDs and prompt you to migrate the data. Follow the on-screen instructions carefully, as this process can take several hours to complete depending on the amount of data you have on your drives.

It's important to note that migrating the data from the DS211+ to the DS923+ will also transfer any existing configuration settings, user accounts, and applications, which can save you a lot of time in setting up the new NAS.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your new DS923+!