Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nas for video stream

I’m looking for a video stream compatible NAS so I can view my video library. I want it to be able to play 4k video / 2k video smoothly.
Should I use an ssd cache drives regardless of the devise disks? If so, what is the recommended gb for cache? Should I use 1 of 2 ssd caches?

Thanks Smile
I would recommend either the DS220+ or DS423+ as both models are capable of streaming 4K and 2K videos smoothly. The DS423+ has a more powerful processor and comes with a video transcoding engine, which could be useful if you need to transcode videos for different devices or formats. However, the DS220+ should also be capable of handling your requirements without any issues.

Regarding your question about using SSD cache drives, it's not necessary for streaming videos, especially if you're streaming locally from the NAS. However, if you frequently access files or use applications that require fast read and write speeds, using SSD cache drives can improve performance. As for the recommended size, it depends on the amount of data you're accessing and the frequency of access. Generally, a cache size of 10% to 20% of the total storage capacity is recommended. You can use either 1 or 2 SSD caches, but using 2 SSDs in a RAID 1 configuration can provide redundancy and improve performance.