Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

iSCSI initiator for mac

Hi, setting up a QNAP TS-H973AX for photo and (at some point) video editing from a mac mini M2 pro with 10Gbe connection. Using SATA SSDs and SATA HDDs for now (U.2 SSD prices a bit scary)

Have watched several of of your videos on why i shoud use an iSCSI LUN, but just as I'm about to set this all up, i watched your latest youtube on video editing on a QNAP NAS where you note there is no native iSCSI initiator on a Mac - argh!

So advice please, which iSCSI initiator for a Mac should i get?
thanks for all the great videos on Youtube..
Hello! Yes, it's true that Mac doesn't come with a native iSCSI initiator. However, there are several third-party initiators available that you can use with your QNAP NAS.

One popular iSCSI initiator for Mac is the GlobalSAN iSCSI Initiator. It is a commercial software product that provides high-performance iSCSI connectivity from any Mac running Mac OS X 10.4 or later. It supports both iSCSI and iSCSI multipath, and is designed to work with a wide range of iSCSI targets, including QNAP NAS devices.

Another option is the ATTO Xtend SAN iSCSI initiator. It is a free iSCSI initiator that provides high-performance iSCSI connectivity for Mac OS X. It supports both iSCSI and iSCSI multipath, and is designed to work with a wide range of iSCSI targets, including QNAP NAS devices.

Both of these initiators are widely used and should work well with your QNAP NAS. However, it's always a good idea to check with the initiator vendor to ensure compatibility with your specific hardware and software configuration.