Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best NVMes to fill two unequal slots.

My Dell Inspiron 16 7610 Laptop has two NVMe slots. A 2280 Gen 4x4 and a 2230 Gen 3x4. Currently has a 1TB 2280 Gen 3 in the Gen 4 slot (Dell's doing). My thought is to buy a Sabrent Rocket 2230 1TB for Windows 11 drive and then the WD Black SN850X for the Gen 4 slot. I would store/work with about 1.25 GB of pics and vids on the Gen 4 drive and back everything up to my 6GB WD DUO. (The DUO is way to slow to work directly with) Am I off base with this? Also considering moving from 16GB of RAM to 64GB at the same time. Thanks,
Your plan sounds reasonable. Moving the Windows 11 installation to a dedicated NVMe SSD such as the Sabrent Rocket 2230 should improve overall system performance. Using the WD Black SN850X for storing and working with your photos and videos should also provide fast read/write speeds. Backing up your data to your WD DUO is a good practice to ensure your important files are safe.

Regarding upgrading your RAM from 16GB to 64GB, it could be a good idea depending on your usage. If you frequently use resource-intensive applications such as video editing software, 3D rendering software, or virtual machines, then upgrading to 64GB of RAM could improve performance. However, if you primarily use your laptop for web browsing, email, and productivity tasks, then 16GB of RAM should be sufficient.

It's also worth noting that upgrading the RAM on a laptop can sometimes be tricky, so it may be worth consulting with a professional if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.